- A study by PLYMedia found that 80% more people watched a video until the end when it had subtitles or captions.
- Whereas, videos without subtitles were watched to 66% completion.
With a 14% increase, this stat proves that adding dialogue text will get your content more viewers, who actually fully watch your video. If your analytics are low for the time watched, it doesn’t hurt to take this statistic into consideration. Moreover, look at your options around subtitling and captioning. And, test it out.
Many people enjoy watching video content with captions, as it allows them to absorb the information better. Those who learn through reading will engage more with a visual that they can read along to. For example, some enjoy adding captions to a video, even when they aren’t needed, or the video isn’t muted.
- According to the World Health Organization, there are 466 million people worldwide with a hearing impairment. Including 34 million children. That’s 5% of the world’s population!
Therefore, it is paramount for content creators to offer accessible content for this audience with subtitles and captions. In fact, anything that has ever been broadcast on television must be closed captioned by law. With this in mind, consider your audience and reach. By not doing so, you are not providing accessibility for your videos.
Search engine optimization has built many companies. From optimized images to web pages, adding relevant keywords helps people find your content by ranking higher on search engines. As well as the many ways we normally use SEO, video captions can actually boost your ranking too. Google actually indexes subtitles and captions that you have added to your videos. It is essentially an organic marketing method that gets more eyes on your video content.
As we have seen, subtitles and captions add so much value to your video content. When it comes to adding them to your media, you have three options.
- DIY – Subtitling and captioning software
- Subtitle and caption services from a localization provider
- Hire a freelancer
In the past, you didn’t have all of these options. However, the benefits of adding text have led many industries to utilize these techniques.